Sunday, May 18, 2008

Unfortunately if you deleted the SSP Admin Site Collection…

Hey - we’ve all made mistakes. We all know that "oh my god" moment after we realize what we’ve done! Often times this occurs right after we click a friendly “Are you sure??” dialog। Of course I’m sure - if I wasn’t sure I wouldn’t have chosen to do it in the first place! Stupid computer।
Anyway, I recently had a situation where someone (honestly, in this case it wasn’t me) accidentally deleted the Site Collection for the SSP admin site (/ssp/admin). Since this was for a SharePoint farm in production I really didn’t want to have to re-create the entire SSP but I couldn’t figure out how to just re-create the site collection itself. I figured there had to be a site template for the site but since it didn’t show up in the Create Site Collection UI I went and looked on disk. Sure enough, a site template exists for the SSP Admin site. It’s called OSRV.
So to create a new SSP admin site, run this command line.
stsadm.exe -o createsite -url http://:/ssp/admin -owneremail -ownerlogin -sitetemplate OSRV#0 -title "Shared Services Administration: "


This might take a little while to complete, but it does eventually finish.
Next you need to edit the SSP to point to the recreated site.
stsadm.exe -o editssp -title "" -sspadminsite http://:/ssp/admin
That’s it। You should be back up and running।



No comments: